Death Of UNIZIK Students: Anambara Commissioner Of Police Orders Full Scale Investigation

Anambra State Commissioner of Police, CP Echeng Echeng, has ordered a comprehensive investigation into the circumstances that led to the death of two students of Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka.
The decomposing bodies (male and female) of the victims were found in a room at their hostel after security agents, in collaboration with the parents of one of the victims, forcefully broke the door on Sunday.
The probable cause of their death was hinged on generator fumes which was reportedly found on the corridor.
However, Echeng in a statement on Monday, advised the general public on the dangers of carbon monoxide.
He said, “It is a dangerous substance that is very toxic to health. This substance when inhaled can cause serious damage to the body and can lead to death. The substances mostly emanate from generators, water heaters, coal burning appliances or any gasoline powered engine.
“The command has ordered a comprehensive investigation into the discovery of two lifeless bodies (male and female) on 20-02-2022, in a room at a student lodge in Awka.
“Preliminary investigation reveals fumes from the generator was strongly perceived from the room when the door was forcefully opened by police officers that responded to the distress call.
“Meanwhile the recovered bodies were deposited at the morgue and no mark of violence was found on the bodies.”
The CP urged the general public, most especially the generator users to keep them away at safe distance from the window or any place the fumes can penetrate to avoid such poisonous fumes like Carbon monoxide affecting the ventilation of the house.

© PUNCH.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *