There were indications on Tuesday that more troubles awaited Sanusi II, as Kano State Public Complaints and Anti-corruption Commission said it would not drop investigations into the N2.2bn land scam against him.
The Chairman of the commission, Muhuyi Magaji Rimingado, in an interview with one of our correspondents on Tuesday, said the investigation into the N2.2bn land scam allegation against the dethroned Emir was going on.
The anti-graft agency had a few weeks ago begun a probe of the deposed Emir over illegal sale of landed property.
Before his removal, the anti-corruption commission had issued an invitation letter to him to appear before it on March 9, to clear himself of the allegations.
But on March 6, a Federal High Court sitting in Kano granted an interim injunction restraining the Kano State anti-commission agency from further investigating the Emir of Kano, Muhammadu Sanusi II.
The chairman of the commission, Mr Muhuyi Magaji Rimingado, in the interview with The PUNCH said the investigation had not stopped.
He stated, “Even yesterday (Monday) some companies were invited by the commission, but on the emir, the investigation will continue after the court order (has been vacated).”
He said with the deposition of embattled monarch, the commission would have what he described as ‘fertile ground’ to carry out its investigation without any interference.
We now have fertile ground to investigate deposed Emir —Commission chairman
Rimingado said, “It is now that we have the fertile ground for our investigation since the emir is not around.”
How we used police to force Sanusi out of palace –Ganduje’s aide
Meanwhile, the Special Adviser to the Governor Abdullahi Ganduje on Media, Salihu Yakasai, on Tuesday said Sanusi refused to leave the palace even after he had been formally informed of his dethronement on Monday.
Yakasai said the state government had to use policemen to force him out of the place. The governor’s spokesman said this on Channels Television’s Sunrise Daily programme on Tuesday.
He said if Sanusi had humbled himself and left the palace immediately he was informed of his removal, he would have been spared the drama.
No government can condone Sanusi’s criticisms – Ganduje’s spokesman
He also defended Sanusi’s removal, saying he was deposed because he was fond of criticising the government of Ganduje in public. He said no one in power could condone such public criticisms.
Yakasai said this on Channels Television’s Sunrise Daily programme on Tuesday.
He said Sanusi, who had easy access to Ganduje, should have private discussions with the governor on state issues instead of criticising the governor publicly.
The governor’s spokesman said, “The emir had access to the governor and could have advised him if he wanted to but unfortunately, he only finds podiums and stages as the only means to advise the government, which is not right.
“So, you can portray it has political or whatever but the fact remains that no one would allow such disrespect and open criticism when you have access to him.”